Saturday, March 16, 2013

An easier, healthier twist on an old favourite

I certainly didn’t create this concept but I definitely love it and wanted to share it.  My kids aren’t crazy for pancakes unless they’re covered in maple syrup with a generous pile of bacon on the side.  Even then they usually just eat the bacon after they’ve smeared it through the syrup, leaving the pancakes for the green bin.  Not the healthiest breakfast ever and I can’t stand the waste.
I have recently discovered, however, the muffin tin pancake!  They’re so much better than the plain old variety.  They’re way easier to make, there is less of a mess to clean up afterwards and the kids can eat them by hand!  Even better, you can load them up with fruit, there is no need for syrup and in my kids’ case, they’re not associated with bacon. 
 
Here’s what you do: Make your pancake batter the way you normally would and pour it into a muffin tin lightly coated in a non-stick spray.  Add whatever toppings you want (the kids love helping with this part).  Today we made them with blueberries and bananas but we’ve also used strawberries, mango, and even chocolate chips.  Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven and voila!  I always use frozen fruit and find that 15 minutes is the perfect amount of time for yummy golden pancakes.

Also, since I’m making twelve at a time, I freeze the leftovers and pop them in the microwave for a quick breakfast in a pinch.  Enjoy!
 

2 comments:

  1. So do you thaw the fruit, or pop it in frozen? I'm going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete