Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Downtown Hamilton with a 4-year old and a budget


Not being at work every day has been good for me in a lot of ways.  I don’t feel pressure to act happy when I’m not and I get to spend lots of time with my kids while they’re small.  It hasn’t, however, been good for my wallet.  We’ve had to really budget for the first time ever and cut back on luxuries that up until now I had been taking for granted.  Like for instance, paying for frills at the grocery store and plucking my eyebrows when I would otherwise pay to have them waxed. Oh, the horror of it all!
Thanks to my mom taking my three year old Edie for the day, I had the opportunity to spend today with my four year old Rudie. When I was working full-time, spending the day together would have meant going out for lunch, then maybe some hot chocolate and shopping and then likely taking in a movie together. Today though, my budget was extremely limited so we decided to eat lunch at home, then get on the bus and spend our day exploring downtown Hamilton instead.

First of all, going ANYWHERE on the bus is a big deal to a four year old who normally walks or gets driven to his destination.  Going downtown on the bus?  He was too excited to speak.  We checked out the fish at Central Library, ran around on top of Jackson Square and waved to all the traffic on King Street below. 


 
We had to make a quick stop at the grocery store (with no frills to mention!) on the way home and that’s when we had an extra special treat.  Since four-year old bladders need to be emptied often, we had a tour of the massive overstock area and Rudie even got to use the lift.  What luck!


All in all, we had an amazing time exploring our great downtown.  Rudie’s favourite part was riding on the bus two times.  My favourite part?  Spending some one-on-one time with my kid in our great city and only spending a whopping  $5.10 for bus fare.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing day! And you'll get used to the "no frills" thing. Just make sure you get to treat yourself to something little (but meaningful to you) every once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like an eyebrow wax?! Brilliant.
      Thanks for reading. xoxo

      Delete