Monday, March 17, 2014

December Boys Got it Bad




I watched Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me twice last week and now I can’t listen to anything but #1 Record and Radio City on repeat.  These records were made in 1972 and 1974 respectively, but when I hear those first few chords of September Gurls, it’s the early 90’s, I’m 16 years old and eagerly discovering all the music that would shape me, inspire me and make my heart hurt in all the best ways.  The Lemonheads, The Flaming Lips, Matthew Sweet, Teenage Fanclub – all of them citing one common influence on their liner notes, magazine articles and interviews: Big Star.  If all of my favourite bands loved them, I certainly needed to hear them, so #1 Record and Radio City made their way into my music collection and have remained a part of it for the past twenty-something years.  For me, they represent a mixture of heartache, hope, love and youthfulness.  Today, I’m remembering Alex Chilton and the music of Big Star and I am incredibly thankful.
 Alex Chilton December 28, 1950 – March 17, 2010




 

No comments:

Post a Comment